Organizing for the New Year by Michele Thrasher
Every year we resolve to be Organized! Here are some tips of the trade to get you started:
Mantra: It didn’t get this way in an hour, so it will take a bit of time to conquer.
Time: Set aside a block of time that is equal to the task/area. If you have 15 minutes, the kitchen countertops might be a good place to use that time. If you have an entire Saturday, maybe the master bedroom closet or garage.
Tools of the Trade: 5 garbage bags or totes clearly labeled
3) KEEP in this space
4) MOVE to a more appropriate area
5) REPAIR ~ reserve this for items that you really will repair or sew that button on
6) for those who are having a difficult time purging ~ THINK ABOUT
Ready, Set, Purge/Edit/Organize!
• Empty the space you are organizing completely. Yes, that means unload the garage into the driveway or the closet onto the bed.
• Take a few more minutes to clean the area.
• Okay, now picking up each item SORT into one of the 5 or 6 totes. If you’re organizing your closet, save a step and re-hang the item immediately if it’s a definite KEEP.
• Be ruthless with yourself and give yourself to the count of 3 to make a decision.
The Next Steps
• Take the Trash to the can or recycling bin.
• Take the Donate tote to your car so it will leave the house.
• Keep items are neatly organized where they belong.
• Move items are put in the appropriate room/space.
• Repair items on front and center so they will be taken care of.
• And, the Think About tote is labeled and dated. If you don’t reach for the item in the next 6 months…it’s time to donate it.
If it doesn’t fit ~ don’t keep it.
If you don’t like it ~ don’t keep it.
If you can’t remember why you even saved it ~ don’t keep it.
If it’s broken and you’ll NEVER fix it ~ don’t keep it.
Remember, getting Organized is a Project ~ Living Organized is a Process.
Need some assistance? Michele Thrasher of Staging by Mon Brio is also a Professional Organizer and would be happy to assist you!